Monday, February 8, 2010

Reality Check

This was a morning full of reality checks! I woke up at 600 AM though I should have gotten up at the regular 530 AM. The bed was just so warm and I was sleeping so well . . . but when I finally got my booty in gear, I realized it was a mistake to sleep in. I kept talking myself out of getting up because I had made my lunch the night before and I had chosen my outfit. I also didn't have to make breakfast because I had a leftover sweet potato pancake from Sunday.

The boys were great until about 715 AM. Now that Baby Boy is walking, he gets into everything. He came waltzing into the bathroom while I was getting ready with a pair of his brother's pants on his head. He always slams the door against the wall. Why it's necessary for him to use so much force, I have no clue. I caught him walking around with something he dug out of the kitchen trash can. Later, I heard water splashing on the floor only to discover that he is playing with our water dispenser and his socks are soaking wet. He also has this habit of throwing his toys away.

Big Boy is getting quite "mouth-y." I'm not sure that is a word but that's all I can think of right now. He's at the age where he will wear my nerves thin with the back talk and arguing about EVERYTHING. I had paused his movie so he could do something and when he got back, I didn't unpause it fast enough. He felt it was necessary to scold me. Holy Moly! Take a deep breath, Retta. . . He's four now, you know, so that means he is a big boy and he can talk like that. Yes, I am so rolling my eyes as I type this. He is definitely full of 'tude.

So when people act like motherhood is all sunshine and rainbows and it's oh-so-perfect and their children are such-little-angels - they are lying to your face! Yes, I would not change a thing and my children are amazing and I love them dearly but they make me want to pull my hair out at times. Going to work is like taking a break :0).

The drive to work was a slow and rough one. Big, beautiful and huge snow flakes were coming down hard and it was difficult to see at times. It doens't make it any easier when ding dongs don't turn on their headlights. I was parked when I took this photo so I promise I'm not a ding dong - well, sometimes.

For breakfast, I had a left over sweet potato pancake from yesterday. I topped it with 1/4 cup non-fat plain yogurt and 1/2 tablespoon of flax. Delicious! Sorry, it's not very pretty. It was huge and I had to cut it up so it would "travel" better.

Another reality check: I'm not a huge fan of the scale. It's taken me a very long time to make peace with my body and to not let the number on the scale rule my life. I've gotten to the "happy" place and go more by the fit of my clothes. So when I pulled a pair of slack on this morning, I cringed when I could barely button them. Time to reign things back in! I really don't want to do the food journal again (right now) so I'll watch my portions and say goodbye to my flavored coffee creamer and boredom snacking.

Have a fantastic morning! I have a 4 miler planned today and I hope it perks me up!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you've got your hands full with your two boys. Personally, I love it when kids reach that age when they're full of attitude. I think it's so funny and I love egging them on - brings out my inner child. :D But then, I don't have to live with them...

    Re the scales: I look at scales the same way that I look at a particular design of dumbells. It's just another tool and if it doesn't work for you, then you should find something that does. If noticing when your clothes get a wee bit snug works for you, then great! Why bother with the scales, right?