Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Balancing Act


Sometimes it feels like it will tumble down. Things will go very smoothly and then I get hit with just feeling overwhelmed with everything. The morning went well, don't get me wrong. The boys were again in great moods. No major disasters. Well, Baby Boy did pee all over his shirt I had just put on him but it was my fault since it took me forever to get his diaper on. He thought it was funny.

As mothers, we are just expected to be super heroes: clean, cook, taxi, work, look decent . . . The list goes on and on. I feel I do handle it well most of the time. Some chores around the house I do let slide if it's not a top priority. How else do I make time? I had to reassess my day starting with the time I went to bed and work my way backwards. I then had to figure out what I was doing and how much time I spent doing it, working my way to the time I wake up in the mornings. And do you know what I discovered? I spent a hell of a lot of time in front of the TV! No wonder it seemed like I didn't have time for anything else. Sure, I had to quit watching some shows I really loved and DVR the ones that made the priority list. The DVR shows may sit on the DVR for weeks but I eventually got to them. So the balancing act is better but far from fine tuned!

I wanted to do a little something different for my oatmeal. To add a little flair, I added dried pineapples! Thanks to Nana for sending those home. My oatmeal contained:
  • 1/2 cup oatmeal prepared with 1 cup water
  • 1 sliced banana
  • 4 dried pineapple chunks, diced
  • 6 chopped almonds
No cinnamon this morning. I really like the pineapple in the oatmeal. It added a nice chewy factor. Oh and I decided to go curly this morning:


How do people take such good self-portraits? I had to break out the 18 year old curling iron (no joke. I got it when I was 13) and curl a few pieces here and there. I think on my wish list: a new curling iron and a diffuser. My hair is in between curly and straight. I kind of like it! It takes a lot of time to straighten it and way less to do it this way. Saving time = GOOD.

How do you busy moms balance it all? Do you let a few things slide like I do or do you do it all?

3 comments:

  1. Your oatmeal looks so good! Thanks for adding me to your blogroll! I look forward to getting to "know" you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. there's a term for that "doing it all:" it's called "second shift" (or haha, shaft). anyway, after all day at your job, a mother is expected to take care of everything at home. leaves little time to devote to herself. a lot of women put it upon themselves to manage everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but i'm proud of you for doing it all!

    ReplyDelete