Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Runner's Commandments - Part 2

As promised, here is the second part of the commandments:

27. Be modest after a race, especially if you have reason to brag.
28. If you say, “Let’s run this race together,” then you must stay with that person no matter how slow.
29. Think twice before agreeing to run with someone during a race.
30. There is nothing boring about running. There are, however, boring people who run.
31. Look at hills as opportunities to pass people.
32. Distance running is like cod liver oil. At first it makes you feel awful, then it makes you feel better.
33. Never throw away the instructions to your running watch.
34. Don’t try to outrun dogs.
35. Don’t trust runners who show up at races claiming to be tired, out of shape, or not feeling well.
36. Don’t wait for perfect weather. If you do, you won’t run very often.
37. When tempted to stop being a runner, make a list of the reasons you started.
38. Never run alongside very old or very young racers. They get all of the applause.
39. Without goals, training has no purpose.
40. During training runs, let the slowest runner in the group set the pace.
41. The first year in a new age group offers the best opportunity for trophies.
42. Go for broke, but be prepared to be broken.
43. Spend more time running on the roads than sitting on the couch.
44. Make progress in your training, but progress at your own rate.
45. “Winning” means different things to different people.
46. Unless you make your living as a runner, don’t take running too seriously.
47. Runners who never fail are runners who never try anything great.
48. Never tell a runner that he or she doesn’t look good in tights.
49. Never confuse the Ben-Gay tube with the toothpaste tube.
50. Never apologize for doing the best you can.
51. Preventing running injuries is easier than curing them.
52. Running is simple. Don’t make it complicated.
53. Running is always enjoyable. Sometimes, though, the joy doesn’t come until the end of the run.

 
#36 and #53 - definitely my favorites of the Commandments. I bitch and moan sometimes before a run but I know afterwards, it always feels wonderful.
 
My 2.25 miler was an early one today. For some reason, I left my hair down and I swear that made me sweat even worse. I am silly! Before the run, I had a yummy snack:
 


  • 1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin flaxseed granola
  • 1 sliced banana 
Always a perfect combination! Lunch was a mish-mash of leftovers:



It contained:
  • garlic cous cous
  • parsnips, celery, potato medley from Sunday night
  • red kidney beans and chickpeas for protein
Cous cous = BOMB! Do people still say that? After hastily scarfing down lunch, I was off to a meeting. Nice post meeting treat:


Mocha cappucino with whip cream and cinnamon sprinkled on top. As you can see, the whip cream did a disappearing act into my mouth! Yum. I had half of the capp. It was pretty sweet. I'm ready for that capp to kick in!

4 comments:

  1. I sometimes still say "the bomb" and I ALWAYS ask myself the same thing: do people still say that?

    he he... guess so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those commandments - great post! And your leftover lunch looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these. I'm hoping #41 proves true in a few months

    ReplyDelete